Thursday, April 19, 2012

To Russia, with Love

One of my most prized possessions is an authentic Russian stacking doll that my mom brought back to me as a souvenir from her trip to Alaska. (Hopefully, everyone knows that Alaska was purchased from Russia back in the day, so many of the smaller villages are still thick with Russian culture.) Although this was a gorgeous gift that anyone would admire and be thrilled to receive, it meant much more to me.

Everyone has their thing they like. Some people like penguins, for some reason frogs seem to be popular, horses, etc... Well my thing happens to be stacking dolls (and the occasional seahorse). If I ever see a mermaid themed stacking doll riding a seahorse, I'll possibly faint.

 My fascination started when I was much younger. Every year around Christmas when my mom and I would go to the mall to do our holiday shopping we would always spend a ridiculous amount of time in one particular home store (Kirkland's to be exact) buying picture frames, pillows, candle holders and other similar items. It never failed, every year right on the front table in Kirkland's there would be a Santa themed stacking doll. To my under 10 little heart it was about the most interesting, beautiful thing I had ever laid eyes on. Each Santa opened up to reveal a different Santa from around the world and in the very center was a teeny tiny miniature one. (I also have quite a thing for all things small and tiny.) It was shiny and smooth and I shamelessly begged for it. For whatever reason, Mama always said no. I'm sure it was crazy over priced and she probably couldn't imagine what I would do with it. Honestly, I don't know what I would've done with it either. Good ole Santa would've been a horrible addition to my Barbie collection. But regardless, I wanted it. So I would cry and cry (not in a bratty, kicking and screaming way, more of a pitiful "my best friend is moving away" kind of sob) until I got distracted in the Hello Kitty store. But every year there would be my Santa. So you can imagine my reaction a good 15+ years later when my sweet Mama returned home with the most gorgeous Matroyshka I've ever seen. Yup, I cried. It's a hand painted, gold, blue and rose colored beauty who tells the traditional Russian folk story of Peter and the Wolf on the bellies of all the dolls. Needless to say, she was definitely worth the wait and much prettier than Santa ever could be.

 Sadly, I only have 3 dolls in my collection. It seems like most of the ones I see for sale these days have a variety of different themes and have less of the traditional Babushka look. Here are some of my most favorite traditional AND themed ones. Maybe I should consider adding to my collection pretty soon.






THE GOLDEN GIRLS!!!

Frida



No comments:

Post a Comment